Welcome to Abound Parenting– thanks for joining us! We wanted to start by giving you a quick overview of how Abound works and what our goals are.
As a new Abound parent, you will be able to learn about and track your children’s reading-related skills, starting as soon as they are born and continuing all the way through third grade. Our goal is to help you stay informed on how your children are doing and improve their skills with simple, everyday ideas and recommendations.
The plan is not to make you the reading teacher: in fact, we created Abound so that parents can do the fun and casual building of skills at home, and let teachers focus on the systematic skill-building at school. By supporting and tracking and monitoring your children’s progress–in collaboration with what their teachers will do in school–you as a parent can help them each of your children reach their full reading potential.
So… how does it work?
- Get started by registering for Abound Reading and answering the Abound Q’s for each of your children.
- After answering the Q’s for a child, you will be directed to a personalized Abound Results page that explains how your child is doing in three different skill areas important for reading.
- In addition to the results, you will be given Abound Recommendations for how to help your child at home. These are easy and realistic suggestions — and yet they are incredibly important to do regularly.
- Just before conference time, share your Abound Results with your child’s teacher. Then, when you meet, you will have the chance to discuss what you see happening at home, and what the teacher sees happening at school. You’ll also get a chance to ask and learn about the kinds of instruction your child is getting at school.
- Eight weeks after you first answered the Abound Q’s, start the process again. Depending on your child’s age, the questions might be new or may be the same ones you saw earlier. Either way, answering these questions is an important learning experience as well, and each time you go through the process you will be able to access new Abound Recommendations to move your child forward.
So with that: let’s get started! There are plenty of Abound resources to help you along the way, and you should also feel free to reach out to us with any questions. We look forward to working with you, and to accompanying you and your children on the road to reading 🙂